to say thank you

I was telling a friend of my upcoming trip to Scotland to celebrate the hubster's 30th birthday. I was explaining the torch bearing procession we will be part of, and how I couldn't wait to torch this year. The hubster over heard and said "You say that every year". I was taken aback, do I really? I think I do. Maybe December is just such a tough month that I feel like the whole year has been a bust. But it truly hasn't. And I know this because as I sat down to edit our Christmas letter for the third time I realized what an incredible year it has been.

As I was editing the highlight reel of 2017 I thought about writing: this blog, my journal, my DayOne app journal, the many different ways that I write and keep track of my life. I've been working diligently to keep this updated though life has gotten busy. I have kept you updated on my goals, dreams, silly stories, familial relationships, and of course lessons that I've learned. And you've read them. You come back to reread them. And I know because I have a counter that tracks you.

Just kidding. It's blogger not CSIS.

Photo by Courtney Hedger on Unsplash
Thank you for helping me pick out a paint colour. Thank you for laughing along with me when I thought I was going to die. Thank you for putting up with my snark and frustrations. Thank you for being with me as I returned to teach for what feels like the 100th time.  Thank you for celebrating with me when I got published somewhere else.

It has been a year of extremes for me and this is an area where I find some sustainable pace. I write because it is my self care, I find a little piece of myself here on my blog when I get lost in the busyness of life. Sitting down to write to converse with a friend, share a silly story, or give some very unsolicited advice from my soap-box-blog gives me fuel to just keep swimming.

I hope you have learned from 2017. I know that a whole year can't be wonderful - all roses and sunshine - so I hope you've learned from the good and the hard times that 2017 brought. I hope that you take time for yourself over the holiday and do something that makes you feel like you, something that healthfully brings you joy (and you don't regret the next day), something that grounds you and sets you to flight at the same time. I also hope that you keep reading, what is writing without a reader?

Thanks for reading. I hope we see each other soon in 2018.

That's all.

Comments

Popular Posts