To fast from snarkiness

I was driving down the 401, on my way to pick up my boyfriend from Pearson Airport and listening to CBC Radio One (I know, could this statement get any more Canadian? I should say I was wearing a beaver pelt, or eating bacon with maple syrup just to sincerely solidify my citizenship) Jian Ghomeshi (that's truly Canadian too, a name that requires phonetics to pronounce) was interviewing Lauren Frey Daisley who took a month off of snark (careful, some PG content) and it got me to thinking...

Snark, according to urban dictionary is the combination of "snide" and "remark".  I also find it interesting that if you google snark, Lewis Carroll's The Hunting of the Snark is the second hit.  I am hunting my inner snark.

It sneaks up and infests speech, snarkiness. It is infectious, one snide remark leads to another and it catches and spreads like a cold.  Once given, twice received. So, here is my attempt to avoid snark in my blog posts. I don't know if it will be as funny, and maybe my insecurity will show through in my writing without having snark to hide behind.

Perhaps in cultivating kindness I will grow in wisdom. Follow this logic: If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all.  Proverbs 11:12 says that "A person who despises a neighbour has no sense, but a person who has understanding keeps quiet."

Therefore: wisdom≠snark


In our world of immediate responses, a reactionary snarky generation is the result. We don't think before status updates/tweets/blogs/texts.  We cultivate snark.  In yet another attempt to be counter-culture, I will try to avoid snark as best I can.

Rats, that comment about Jian Ghomeshi's name is snarky, isn't it?


That's all.

Comments

Popular Posts