To cry in class

I am a private person.  This was news to me, I thought I was an open book, but over time it has been revealed through my friends that I am in fact, not.  I do not divulge unless asked, but once asked I freely share.  That's the way I work, and apparently that can seem closed off to some people.

So you can imagine my surprise when I started crying in class the other morning.

I will rewind and tell you the story from the beginning.

My dear, dear friend and I used to live in the same city.  Our roles were reversed at the time, she was the student and I was the professional.  We would support each other and most often laugh like crazy.  She is, without trying to sound hokey, a kindred spirit.  She would hate that I am calling her a kindred spirit, she would think it is too hokey and tell me to smarten up.

We would often discuss our temporary state of poverty, me being a teacher and her being a student and she would sing the line: "Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz" and we would laugh.

She moved away for a new job before I went away to school.  And we traded places, she is now an underpaid professional and I am the student.

We talked on the phone the night before class and she was homesick and having a rough go at things.  I just listened.  She cried a couple of times, and eventually we got to laughing again.  It was a record for time spent on the phone for her, she normally sets a timer to be finished in an hour.  We were on for nearly two.

I prayed for her that night.

When I went into class the next morning, the group presenting played a song I had never actually heard. Janis Joplin's "Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz" and the tears started rolling.  Then I started to giggle a bit, the people at my table must have thought I had lost it.  No one asked, they probably (and thankfully) did not notice.

I miss my dear friend.

That's all.

Comments

Popular Posts